Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Home again!

Ok so Round 3 wasn't quite as smooth as the previous one but I'm happy to say I'm home, for the second time, and am feeling immensely better :)

It started off okay.  I went in with high spirits and all was progressing nicely.  One day while walking laps I got on the scale in the hallway...  you see I'm obsessed with scales now because I'm so thin and it's such a treat to see those low numbers ;)  Hey you gotta find the perks where you can in this journey!  So I pop on the scale and up comes a big red blinking 141.  What?!  Wait a minute... that's my old weight!  Scale must be off.  So I shuffle off to the other side of the floor and climb on that scale.  Same number!  Yikes, better let my nurse know about this.  Turns out I had indeed gained about 23 pounds in fluids.  Dr. X wanted to be sure my kidneys stayed good and flushed so she really had the fluids pumping.  A lasix pill and lots of trips to ladies room put me back at my current weight of about 118  :)  A couple people have told me I looked a bit like a cherry tomato in the face with all that fluid. Ha ha ha!

Friday night.  I'm feeling pretty good and am anxious to get home and settle in and eat my own food.  Hospital food is just yucky for some reason...  I was eating just fine but really wanted to be home.  I usually stay until Saturday morning but X agreed I could go.  Off I went and being home felt great.  I slept so good Friday night and woke up feeling pretty decent Saturday.  Didn't think to take my anti-nausea medicine and the next thing I knew I was s-i-c-k.  Hit me like a ton of bricks.  Every time I barely moved I was violently ill.  I should have called X right away but for some reason I thought it would pass.  It didn't.  When Louisa came by in the afternoon, she took one look at me, called X right away and off to the hospital we went.

Thank goodness the lovely nurse, Annette, was still in the Out-patient Infusion Room at the hospital so I didn't have to endure the whole ER admit nightmare.  Annette started IVs of fluids and anti-nauseas.  I had to be readmitted and spent 2 more nights in.  I'm pretty sure these were the toughest days yet for me.  Turns out my blood sugar had really dropped as well so I had zero energy.  Just standing up was difficult.  But as amazing as our bodies are, I have bounced back once again, with the help of some sugar water and sterioids.  I came home yesterday and feel remarkably good again.  I'm taking my anti-nauseas ;)

Right now the plan is to have my fianl round the beginning of July.  X says she's thinking of ending with a big bang...?!  kind of scary but she knows best!  She has apologized profusely for this round making me so ill and has a gameplan in mind for next time to avoid this from happening again.  I told her we both were over confident with Round 2 having gone so well.  She also mentioned I will be seeing a Oncology Radiologist for an evaluation after my final round.  The source tumor was a very slow growing tumor vs. the crazy fast growing offshoot one.  Chemotherapy works best on fast growing tumors.  They Tumor Board regulary reviews my case and they feel it may be advantageous to to some follow-up radiation.  Nothing set in stone yet, just an evaluation when all is said and done.  X promised the radiation, while it can have it's own side effects, does not generally produce nasuea ;)  Fair enough!

Well peeps, this is a long blog and I'm getting a little pooped.  I can not believe it's already the middle of June.  Wow.  Big shout out to Tate Thomas Oakely who will be turning 2 in 2 weeks (June 30)!  Happy Birthday my sweet Grandson.  Love you so much!!!

Love you all as well!!!  xoxo  Reba

13 comments:

  1. so glad you're feeling better, honey. it's such an inspiration to read your blog...thanks for sharing! xoxo Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you are back home and feeling good again! Can't believe you forgot the anti-nausea meds ;) Eat those like they are Mentos!

    Big shout out to you June BIRTHDAY GIRL!!! I get to run for you again ON YOUR BIRTHDAY! Woo hoo!!!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow... 23 lbs. of fluids? Yikes! I'm glad you were able to get back in right away and get that taken care of. Thinking of you in good health and naturally rosie cheeks:) Take care you...

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad Louisa stopped by to check on you. She is a star - I want to meet her! Glad you are feeling good and will be able to enjoy Tate's big day and your bday coming up too (FYI, everybody: Reba's bday is 6/26!).

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE YOU, Reba! You're such an inspiration and you're always in my thoughts and prayers. Eric

    ReplyDelete
  6. RC the Fighter!!! Stay strong woman, always thinkin' about ya! Lovies, --G

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad you are home and feeling better! I second what Mon said about Mentos! Good idea! ; )

    I really can't wait for Taco Tuesday again with you Reebs!!

    Happy Birthday Month!
    Lots of Love and Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. For the record, I miss you! But I can deal... sending big hugs your way today and everyday! (and continued prayers)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi there!
    Glad to hear you are battling this. Seems like the sweetest people suffer the most on Earth. I would get a 2nd and perhaps 3rd opinion on the Big Bang ending. I am just worried about you. Good luck and please reach out if you need an ear.

    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  10. Reba,
    Thanks for your honesty. Very sorry to hear how sick you were during the latest round. Hopefully, the doc can make proper adjustments for next time. Yes, our bodies are amazing -- and the energy inside them, too. Sending good thoughts your way today and always.
    love,
    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amiga mia, my lovely Reba, you are such a figther! I hope this nightmare turns into a wonderful and healthy reality soon... Keep going there!
    Hugs
    Ana

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love you Reebs! Hope you are feeling like the superstar you are!! Happy Birthday Saturday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love you dearly Reba..... thanks for the update and your daily will power. Hugs and kisses

    ReplyDelete

Everything good!